- Carp Bait
- Essential Tackle
- Bait Boats for Carp Fishing
- Bait Boat Reviews
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued 2
- Bait Boats on eBay
- Spod & Marker Rods Plus Accessories
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Throwing Sticks & Catapults
- PVA Products
- Liquid Attractors & Bait Dips
- Fishing Sunglasses
- Delkim Bite Alarms
- Prologic Bite Alarms
- TF Gear Bite Alarms
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Fishing Bivvies
- DVDs & Books
- About Me
No. 5 Best Carp Bait…
Price: £5.00 – £7.00 per kilo on average for prepared hempseed. Unprepared hemp is a lot cheaper to buy, on average £2.50 per kilo.
Outlets: Most good tackle dealers, bait companies and pet stores. Also don’t forget to give Amazon and eBay a try.
Top Tip or Fact: Tip – hempseed is an excellent bait when combined with others baits i.e. sweetcorn and pellets, as part of a spod mix or groundbait.
Hempseed is No. 5 on my list and is an absolute classic carp bait. One thing you can guarantee when fishing with hemp is that the tiny particles of bait will keep the carp rooting around on the bottom for hours – they love the stuff that much!
One theory why carp love hempseed so much is that it could be mistaken for tiny water snails which obviously forms part of their natural diet.
Personally I always fish hempseed as part of my spod/groundbait mix. I think if you haven’t got hempseed as part of your bait then you are definitely missing a trick.
As with tiger nuts, if you are planning a short fishing session then buying prepared hempseed is fairly cheap. But if you’re planning a two or three day session then buying unprepared hempseed is the way forward because it works out a heck of a lot cheaper. Just make sure it’s prepared properly, otherwise it can be harmful to the fish.
“Preparing hempseed is a smelly affair!”
Just like tiger nuts, hempseed has to be prepared carefully or it can harm the fish. To prepare for safe use, firstly add a pint of unprepared hemp to four pints of water, into a large saucepan and leave to soak for a few hours. The water level in the saucepan needs to be 3/4 full at the most. Then add a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into the mix and bring to the boil for approx 30-45 minutes.
Once the hempseed start splitting and white shoots appear then the hemp is ready. Turn off the heat immediately and drain the hempseed from the saucepan and rinse with cold water to stop the hempseed from cooking any further. The hemp is then ready for the off!
Hempseed these days can be spiced up and added to many different bait mixtures. A couple of popular flavours on the market are Pineapple Power and Raspberry Plume 🙂 But there are lots of different flavourings out there for you to experiment with.
Hempseed also gives off an attractive oily aroma which travels through the water layers which the carp find irresistible and will be drawn to it.
Pros vs. Cons
- Hempseed is a cheap carp bait if purchased unprepared.
- Carp can’t get enough of the stuff and it will keep them rooting around in your swim for hours. Personally I think it’s the crunchy texture that makes it one of biggest attractions for the carp.
- Hempseed can be naturally prepared in it’s own juice or can be soaked in a liquid attractor.
- It can also be bagged up and put in the freezer for future use.
- Hempseed is a great bait on its own but an even better bait when used as part of a groundbait/spod mix.
- Can be purchased from most tackle dealers and bait companies as well as Amazon and eBay.
- Buying prepared hempseed can be fairly expensive.
- Cooking and preparing of hemp can be off putting to some anglers.
- Fishing hempseed at distance can be an issue if you want to bait up with free offerings – you can’t catapult it very far out. So you would need to spod or use a bait boat to ensure the hempseed gets to the desired area.
Click here to view unprepared hempseed in bulk – 15kg. Price £34.49
Click here to view unprepared hempseed in bulk – 30kg. Price £66.99
Or click here to check out Dynamite’s Frenzied Feeder Range 2.5ltr Jars on ebay – Including: Original Hempseed, Chilli Hempseed & Mixed Particles.
Hempseed is arguably the best particle bait out there. Unprepared hempseed is one of the cheapest carp baits going. It’s not just a proven carp bait but a excellent all round bait no matter what species of fish you are after. It’s probably one of the few baits that can keep a carp actively feeding in your swim for as long as there is hempseed to be hoovered up.
I’m not sure exactly why carp love hempseed so much but the taste and texture makes it an irresistible bait.
NOTE: All prices are correct at the time of publishing this page.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments box below and I will get back to you. Thanks again.
Click here to continue with my Top 10 Baits…
Pinterest – view all my Carp Fishing boards
- "Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com (Amazon.com)."