- Carp Bait
- Essential Tackle
- Bait Boats for Carp Fishing
- Bait Boat Reviews
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued 2
- Bait Boats on eBay
- Spod & Marker Rods Plus Accessories
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Throwing Sticks & Catapults
- PVA Products
- Liquid Attractors & Bait Dips
- Fishing Sunglasses
- Delkim Bite Alarms
- Prologic Bite Alarms
- TF Gear Bite Alarms
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Fishing Bivvies
- DVDs & Books
- About Me
No. 4 Best Carp Bait…
Price: £7.00 – £10.00 per kilo on average for prepared tiger nuts. Unprepared are a lot cheaper to buy, on average £4.00 per kilo.
Outlets: Most good tackle dealers and bait companies. Also give Amazon and eBay a try.
Top Tip or Fact: Tip – when unprepared tiger nuts are soaked in their juices try adding brown sugar and a liquid attractor for extra potency.
Tiger Nuts Review:
Tiger nuts is No. 4 on my best carp bait list and is a superb bait for catching these stunning fish. They absolutely love the smell and without question this bait will catch you a lot of carp.
If you are planning a short fishing session then buying prepared tiger nuts is not too bad and won’t break the bank too much. But if you’re planning on a long session or if you generally use a lot of tiger nuts when you’re fishing then buying unprepared tiger nuts is the way forward because it works out a lot cheaper.
“If prepared incorrectly, tiger nuts can be dangerous for the fish!”
The problem is that you have to be very careful when preparing tiger nuts because if prepared wrong then the tigers could be very harmful to the fish and even kill them if used dry.
To prepare them safely you first need to soak the tigers for 24 hours (the longer the better). Then boil them and let them simmer for about 30 minutes. At this point you can add your own liquid attractors before leaving the tigers to soak in their own juicies in an airtight bucket for a further 48 hours.
When I fish with tiger nuts, the set up I use is a pop-up presentation using a small piece of cork underneath the tiger nut. Fished over a bed of hempseed with some sweetcorn added to give a bit of visual presence. This technique has worked wonders for me and has caught me lots of fish – give it a try!
Tiger nuts are a very underused bait in my opinion. If you’ve never used tiger nuts before then you should definitely give them a try on your local carp fishery – just check that it’s not a banned bait.
Pros vs. Cons
- Tiger nuts are a cheap carp bait if purchased unprepared.
- Carp absolutely love them!
- You can use them after being naturally prepared in their own juicies or they can be soaked in a liquid attractor.
Prepared tiger nuts can be put in the freezer for future use.
- Tigers can be crushed up and used as part of a groundbait/spod mix.
- Can be very effective on some waters as tiger nuts are not a widely used bait (pre baiting is needed in these situations).
- Tiger nuts can be purchased from most tackle dealers and bait companies as well as on Amazon and eBay.
- Tiger nuts are high in protein which is great for the carp’s diet.
- Unprepared tiger nuts take time to prepare for safe consumption.
- Buying prepared tiger nuts can be quite expensive.
- Some carp fisheries have a ban on tigers due to the dangers they possess if prepared incorrectly.
Click here to view Dynamite Baits Frenzied Tiger Nuts.
Click here to view this Tiger Nut concentrated carp bait flavouring.
Tiger nuts, especially used in the right circumstances are an awesome carp bait. For me though tiger nuts are an underrated and underused carp bait. I think for some carp anglers the bait preparation may put them off or it might be that a lot of waters have a ban on them. Unprepared Tiger nuts are a relatively cheap carp bait compared to some other baits.
To be honest I tend to use tigers as part of my stick mix or spod mix and will often use a pop-up tiger nut flavoured boilie as this is what has given me the best results.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments box below and I will get back to you. Thanks again.
Click here to continue with my Top 10 Baits…
Pinterest – view all my Carp Fishing boards
- "Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com (Amazon.com)."