- Carp Bait
- Essential Tackle
- Bait Boats for Carp Fishing
- Bait Boat Reviews
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued 2
- Bait Boats on eBay
- Spod & Marker Rods Plus Accessories
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Throwing Sticks & Catapults
- PVA Products
- Liquid Attractors & Bait Dips
- Fishing Sunglasses
- Delkim Bite Alarms
- Prologic Bite Alarms
- TF Gear Bite Alarms
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Fishing Bivvies
- DVDs & Books
- About Me
No. 3 Best Carp Bait…
Price: £4.00 – £5.00 per kilo on average. There are now many different types of pellets on the market in all different sizes.
Outlets: Most good tackle dealers and bait companies sell pellets, as well as some pet food suppliers. Also give Amazon and eBay a try.
Top Tip or Fact: Tip – Fishing a large drilled halibut pellet topped with fake corn is a fantastic carp bait! I fish this little setup a lot and it’s brought me a lot of success.
Pellets is my No. 3 best carp bait and has been around for decades. The sole purpose of this bait was originally to feed salmon and trout on fish farms. But since their introduction to the commercial angler the demand for pellets has literally soared.
There are now many different brands of pellet on the market that come in many different sizes, standard sizes are 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 14mm and 21mm. You can even buy red coloured pellets now.
Pellets are basically compressed groundbait which is why they break down quickly in water. They are high in protein and contain other vitamins and minerals which is great for carp.
“In my view pellet is a key ingredient to any spod or groundbait mix…”
My favourite pellets have to be Dynamite Marine Halibut Pellets and Dynamite Robin Red Pre-Drill Pellets. Carp absolutely love them! I’ve caught some big carp using pellet but fishing a 14mm or even a 21mm topped with fake corn, is a deadly carp bait in my opinion.
Halibut pellets absolutely stink 🙂 but the fishy oil that they give off is one of the main attractors for carp – it literally leaves an oil slick in the water which carp will home in on!
Carp will feed on pellets for literally hours. Apart from hempseed, there’s no other bait in my opinion that will get the carp in a feeding frenzy. The tiny particles will keep the carp digging around in your swim until all of the bait has gone.
The beauty of this bait is that you can use it as a hookbait or mixed in with groundbait, and as part of a spod mix. I think there are very few carp anglers out there that don’t use pellets as part of their bait armory – it’s that good!
Even if I’m not using pellet as a hookbait, I will always use small pellets along with crushed boilie in small PVA mesh bags. I really rate fishing with boilies over a bed of pellets or hempseed. Give it a try!
Pros vs. Cons
- Pellets give off a highly attractive oily scent.
- High in protein which the carp find irresistible.
- They can also be soaked in liquid attractors like Mainline Hempseed Oil to make them even more attractive.
- Pellets are relatively cheap to buy. The small pellets especially should last you quite a while.
- Can be purchased from most good tackle dealers and bait companies. Don’t forget Amazon and eBay as well.
- Many different sizes available makes them ideal for fishing as a hook bait or used as part of a groundbait/spod mix.
- Floating pellets can also be used in warmer weather when the fish are up in the water layers.
- Even when opened pellets will stay fresh for many months, so long as they are kept in an air tight container.
- Pellets break down in the water very quickly, so hookbaits need to be changed on a more regular basis.
- Other fish have acquired a taste for them as well, including barbel and tench.
- Fishing smaller pellets at distance can be an issue if you want to bait up with free offerings – you can’t catapult them very far out for a start off. So you would need to spod or use a bait boat to ensure the pellets get to the desired area.
Click here to view small pellets – 3mm, 4mm & 6mm – Price £3.99
Click here to view large pellets – 8mm, 15mm & 20mm – Price £4.99 – £7.70
Click here to view large pre drilled pellets – 16mm – Price £6.94
Click here to view large Halibut pellets – 21mm – Price £5.99
Great Pellet Offers on ebay
There are lots of different pellets on the market but I’ve listed below all of the main brands. Most of the cheap pellet deals can be found on eBay and are distributed directly by tackle dealers which I’ve sourced for you. Just click on each link below to be redirected to the relevant buying page, all of which have Free P&P.
If you’re not a member of eBay then you’re definitely missing out, it’s FREE and easy to use, so JOIN HERE to find out more….and to get involved!!
Marine Halibut Pellets 10kg Carp/Coarse – *3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 16mm or 20mm* – Click here £18.00
Dynamite Pre-Drilled Marine Halibut Carp Pellets – Re-sealable Bags *8mm, 14mm, 21mm* – Click here £4.98
Pre-Drilled Halibut Pellets 1kg, *8mm, 14mm or 20mm* Carp Fishing – Click here £6.99
Dynamite Baits Marine Halibut Pellets 900g for Coarse & Carp *4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 14mm or 21mm* – Click here £3.99
NEW Dynamite Baits ROBIN RED *8mm, 12mm, 15mm or 20mm* Carp Pellets 90g Day Session – Click here £1.99
Mainline Baits Dedicated Response 5mm Carp Pellets 400g (Flavours: Activ-8, Maple-8, Fusion, Pro-Active Pineapple, Pulse, Cell, New Orange or Hybrid) – Click here £3.99
Soft Hook Pellets bait ideal for coarse, Match, Carp Fishing 180ml or 250ml *4mm, 6mm or 10mm* (28 DIFFERENT FLAVOURS!) – Click here £3.49 or £3.99
Pellets, over the last decade especially, has been an excellent carp bait and probably one of the most popular. It is a relatively cheap carp bait for the quantity of bait that you get and can be sourced in all good tackle dealers and bait companies. It can be used as a hookbait or as part of a groundbait/spod mix.
If you haven’t tried using pellets as part of your carp fishing then you’re seriously missing out on some action. So get involved!
NOTE: All prices are correct at the time of publishing this page.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments box below and I will get back to you. Thanks again.
Click here to continue with my Top 10 Baits…
Pinterest – view all my Carp Fishing boards
- "Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com (Amazon.com)."