- Carp Bait
- Essential Tackle
- Bait Boats for Carp Fishing
- Bait Boat Reviews
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued 2
- Bait Boats on eBay
- Spod & Marker Rods Plus Accessories
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Throwing Sticks & Catapults
- PVA Products
- Liquid Attractors & Bait Dips
- Fishing Sunglasses
- Delkim Bite Alarms
- Prologic Bite Alarms
- TF Gear Bite Alarms
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Fishing Bivvies
- DVDs & Books
- About Me
No. 2 Best Carp Bait…
Price: £1.00 approx. will buy you a large tin of sweetcorn (cheap as chips!) Or even cheaper if you buy in bulk. You don’t have to buy branded sweetcorn either, other non-branded corn will do the job just as good. Remember to get the sweetcorn with added sugar and salt as this is a big attraction for carp.
Outlets: Any good supermarket. Also remember to try Amazon and eBay.
Top Tip or Fact: Fact – The most famous carp caught on sweetcorn has to be Chris Yate’s 51.5lb linear mirror carp in 1980 from Redmire Pool in Hertfordshire. The capture of this fish which was at the time a UK carp record stunned the carp world.
Sweetcorn is my No. 2 best carp bait and is arguably one of the best carp baits ever! It continues to catch a lot of carp of all sizes year in and year out. It’s cheap to buy and it’s colour and taste make it highly visible and attractive to carp – they find the stuff irresistible! Also any amino acids that the corn gives off will travel through the water layers which is very attractive and will draw in the carp.
Another type of corn is maize, it’s from the same family but has less sugar content. Unprepared maize can be bought in bulk and is usually very cheap, no more than about £2.00 per Kilo. Click here to find out more about buying in bulk. Always remember to prepare the maize properly as it can be very harmful to the carp if it isn’t cooked correctly. Unprepared maize is as hard as rocks so it’s important to get the preparation right!
To prepare safely you first need to soak the maize in cold water for 24 hours (the longer the better). Then boil the maize and simmer for about 30 minutes. At this point you can add your own liquid attractors before leaving the maize to soak in their own juicies in an airtight bucket for another couple of hours. You can always tell if the maize is ready because it expands and you should be able to split the maize when pinched.
I’ve caught a lot of carp on sweetcorn and maize and is a bait that I always have on me when I go fishing – it’s a must in my book! The beauty of this bait is that you can use it as a hookbait or mixed in with groundbait, and as part of a spod mix.
“Carp, they just love the stuff!”
My favourite brand of sweetcorn has to be Jolly Green Giant but make sure you buy the cans with added sugar and salt because this is a huge attraction for carp – they absolutely love the stuff! But to be honest as I’ve already mentioned any brand of sweetcorn will work just as good. Another main attractor for this bait is its rich content of vitamins, minerals, sodium and amino acids which carp can pick up on from some distance and will home in on the scent – just like somebody ringing the dinner bell!
As corn is such a great bait this ultimately means that you will get pestered by other fish because they love it just as much as carp do – which can be annoying! In recent years the invention of the plastic fake corn bait has been a God send!
It won’t stop you catching the nuisance fish but it will give you confidence that your hook bait is always going to be there! Also worth a try is Dynamite’s Frenzied Sweetcorn – maize or mixed particles in a jar or tin. This brand of maize/sweetcorn is top stuff and has caught me a lot of fish. Or Mainline Response 10mm or 15mm Sweetcorn Boilies (plus other great flavours) – 200g bag for just £4.40. If you’re fishing on a budget then these little beauties will do the business as an alternative – they’re a great little tench bait as well!
Pros vs. Cons
- Sweetcorn is a cheap carp fishing bait and is readily available.
- Corn is a great attractor to carp – colour and taste make it highly visible and attractive.
- You can use plastic fake corn which gives you the confidence that you will always have a hook bait present. Also worth a try is Korda’s Pop-Up Maize in four great flavours.
- Can be fished as a lone hookbait or in conjunction with a boilie for example.
- Excellent all year round bait.
- A good healthy bait for the carp.
- You can dye sweetcorn different colours – red is a classic example and can prove very effective.
- As well as being a great hookbait, it also complements other baits when used as a groundbait/spod mix i.e. hemp and pellets.
- Sweetcorn juice is a great attractor when added to your groundbait/spod mix. I see a lot of carp anglers tipping the juice away! Don’t do this because there’s a lot of goodness in the juice.
- If you are on a budget then it is definitely worth buying maize (which is essentially sweetcorn) in bulk and preparing yourself.
- Other fish love to eat sweetcorn as well which means that you get pestered by nuisance fish – which can be annoying especially if you’re only interested in catching carp.
- Fishing corn at distance can be an issue if you want to bait up with free offerings – you can’t catapult it very far out for a start off. So you would need to spod or use a bait boat to ensure the sweetcorn gets to the desired area.
- Once opened sweetcorn doesn’t last very long so it has to be used within a few days.
Click here to check out Dynamite’s Carp Frenzied Feeder Jars and Tins (includes hemp, chilli hemp, garlic hemp, maize, mixed particles, tiger nuts).
Sweetcorn is without doubt one of the best baits out there for carp fishing. It’s probably one of the most used baits for catching carp whether it is used as a hookbait or as part of a groundbait/spod mix. All carp anglers should be armed with at least one or two tins because you never know when a situation might arise that you need some. There’s no excuse as it’s a cheap carp fishing bait that gets results!
NOTE: All prices are correct at the time of publishing this page.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments box below and I will get back to you. Thanks again.
Click here to continue with my Top 10 Baits…
Pinterest – view all my Carp Fishing boards
- "Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com (Amazon.com)."