- Carp Bait
- Essential Tackle
- Bait Boats for Carp Fishing
- Bait Boat Reviews
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued
- Bait Boat Reviews Continued 2
- Bait Boats on eBay
- Spod & Marker Rods Plus Accessories
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Throwing Sticks & Catapults
- PVA Products
- Liquid Attractors & Bait Dips
- Fishing Sunglasses
- Delkim Bite Alarms
- Prologic Bite Alarms
- TF Gear Bite Alarms
- Daiwa Carp Rods
- Carp Fishing Bivvies
- DVDs & Books
- About Me
No. 10 Best Carp Bait…
Price: Canned chickpeas will cost from as little as £0.60p. You can buy dried chickpeas in bulk very cheaply (usually 2kg, 5kg and 10kg sacks).
Outlets: Any good supermarket or bait companies. Also give Amazon and eBay a try.
Top Tip or Fact: Tip – When you buy dried chickpeas, before soaking them overnight trying adding some bait attractor into the water to give the bait some extra flavour. Also you can add some bait dye to give the particles even more attraction.
Chickpeas have to be one of the most underrated carp baits out there. I’ve listed it at No. 10 for my best carp baits. To be honest I used chickpeas a lot back in my early days of carp fishing but these days I don’t tend to use them as much. When I do use them they tend to form part of my groundbait or spod mix.
Chickpeas are cheap to buy and can be bought in a tin off the shelf, ready to use. Alternatively you can buy dried chickpeas in bulk which are very cheap and will last you a long time. You just need to be careful when preparing dried chickpeas because they can be harmful to the fish if they are not prepared properly.
“Remember to add salt and any other attractors you might want to the water, when preparing dried chickpeas…”
Basically to prepare chickpeas the easiest way is to soak overnight (12 – 16 hours) in salt water, with a little liquid attractor added if you want. Then the next day bring them to the boil for about 30 minutes and the chickpeas should be good to go.
Another option when soaking the chickpeas is to add curry powder and some garlic. This will ensure that once in the water the chickpeas will give off a very strong attractive scent.
You can also buy chickpeas prepared in bulk. La Palma Lupa chickpeas 400g tins (pack of 24) is just £11.42 – that’s just £0.12/100g! Click here to find out more.
Particle Baits for Carp Fishing
Having a good groundbait or spod mix which is highly attractive to carp is essential if you want to get results especially if you are trying to draw carp into an area that you intend to fish. I’ve been doing some research and have identified the below baits as the best particle baits for carp fishing online.
Nash NEW Carp Fishing Bait Prepared Particle Range.
Salted Mega Mix 2.5kg – £10.99
Salted Mini Mix 2.5kg – £10.99
Slicker Hemp 2.5kg – £10.99
Slicker Spiced Hemp 2.5kg – £10.99
Mixed Candy Tigers 2.5kg – £11.99
Tiger Nut Slush 2.5kg – £12.99
Candy Nut Juice 500ml – £10.99
Slicker Spiced Hemp Oil 500ml – £10.99
Maize Syrup 500ml – £10.99
If you are interested in any of the above top rated particle baits then click here to find out more.
Pros vs. Cons
- Cheap carp bait.
- It’s readily available off the shelf or you can buy dried chickpeas in bulk.
- Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber.
- Dried chickpeas can be soaked in attractors and dyed if you want to make them extra attractive. A great tip is to soak the chickpeas in curry juice overnight!
- Chickpeas are good when mixed as part of a groundbait or spod mix.
- Preparation of dried chickpeas take time.
- They don’t stay on the hook very well as they are quite soft.
- Other species of fish will gladly eat chickpeas.
Chickpeas are definitely underrated as a carp bait and if you haven’t tried them out then they’re worth a go in my book. Even if you don’t use them as a hook bait they work well in any ground bait mix and can even be crushed up as well.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments box below and I will get back to you. Thanks again.
Click here to see my No. 1 carp bait…
Pinterest – view all my Carp Fishing boards
- "Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Bestbaitforcarpfishing.com (Amazon.com)."